Summer Internship in Bangkok, Thailand

We Are Now Accepting Applications for Summer 2018!

Program Components:

• Program lasts from June to Mid-August

• Introduction to Thai law at Thammasat University Faculty of Law in Bangkok.

• Six weeks of work at an international law office in Bangkok.

• Support grant from the East Asian Legal Studies Center to defray the costs of travel.  Internships   sometimes pay either a small salary, or pay for accommodations in Bangkok.

Eligibility and Other Requirements:

• 1Ls and 2Ls at the University of Wisconsin Law School are eligible.

• You do not need to speak Thai and you do not need previous travel experience to apply for this   program.

• Three to four J.D. students will be selected to participate.

• Participants must have or get a passport to travel to Thailand, and participants must obtain a visa if selected.  The Center will assist in this process.

• The UW requires 2 months of its own travel insurance, which costs approximately $35/month.


Application materials should be submitted by one pdf attachment to the Center's coordinators, at  

We encourage you to submit your application as soon as your fall grades have been reported. If all of your grades are not yet reported, submit a student record with incomplete grades and submit a second student record when it is complete. (Sending a student record by pdf attachment is acceptable.)

Applicants will be notified about decisions, including interview schedules if needed, in April, by email.  Final decisions will be made by the end of April.


 1. A "top sheet" that you make yourself, as follows: 

• Your name, full mailing address, email address, telephone number, and UWID number;

• Your current year at the UW Law School (1L or 2L) and your expected graduation date;

• Your passport status: Do you have one? If yes, from what country and when does it expire?

 2. Cover letter addressed to Interim Director Prof. John K.M. Ohnesorge explaining why you are interested in  the program.

 3. Current resume. 

Please combine these first three items into one Word document (.doc or .docx) file.  

 4. Unofficial Law School transcript (known as your "student record") requested from your  "MyUW" web site and  sent to you as a pdf file, which you then forward to the Center, to

Lock Icon