- September 14, 2017: "Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act’s Evolving Genocide Exception to Immunity," Professor Vivian Curran, University of Pittsburgh School of Law. Hosted by Jason Yackee. Co-sponsored by ILS, GLS, EALSC, and the EU Center. 12:00pm in Lubar Commons.
- September 14, 2017: Public Lecture and Discussion forum, 5:30pm, Mechanical Engineering Hall Auditorium 1106: “Searching for Answers on a Warming Planet: Why We May Need Climate Engineering” by Simon Nicholson, American University, School of International Service & Co-Director, Forum for Climate Engineering Assessment
Overview: Artificially whitening clouds. Injecting reflective particles into the stratosphere. Seeding the oceans with iron. These and a range of other climate engineering or "geoengineering" schemes are gaining increasing visibility and credibility as options for tackling climate change. What, though, is to be made of such efforts? Is climate engineering a new form of hucksterism? A dangerous and distracting folly? Or some meaningful part of the toolkit to generate a sustainableModerator: Paul Robbins, Nelson Institute
Discussants: Dominique Brossard, UW-Madison
Elisabeth Graffy, Arizona State University
- September 15, 2017: Workshop on Climate Engineering Governance: Deepening the Dialogue, 8:00am-5:15pm, Wisconsin Energy Institute, Conference room 1115. Space is limited. Contact Emily Reynolds if you are interested in attending. Multiple sponsors
- September 16, 2017: Day 2 of workshop on Climate Engineering (brainstorming session on next steps), by invitation
- September 25, 2017: "Settling for Justice? Rana Plaza and After" GLS Speaker Sara Hossain, Supreme Court of Bangladesh, co-sponsored by Center for South Asia
- October 2, 2017: South Asia Legal Studies Working Group. At Noon in Room 7205, by invitation.
- October 12, 2017: Law and De-Globalization Series Speaker Boaventura de Sousa Santos, Professor at the School of Economics at the University of Coimbra, Distinguished Legal Scholar at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Law School, Hosted by Professor Alexandra Huneeus. (GLS)
- October 17, 2017: "Upholding America's Promise for All," Mildred Fish Harnack Lecture by Farhana Khera. 4:00pm, 2260 Law Building.
- October 20, 2017: "Social Justice Advocacy and Innovation:The Wisconsin Center for Public Representation 1974-Present" by Louise Trubek with comments by Marsha Mansfield, other details pending.
- October 25, 2017: "Opportunities and Traps: Comparing the Death Penalty in India and the United States'," GLS Speaker Anup Surendranath. Hosted by Mitra Sharafi, co-sponsored by ILS.
- October 26, 2017: Eleventh annual South Asia Legal Studies workshop
- November 16, 2017: Law and De-Globalization Series Speaker Thierry Cruvellier, hosted by Alexandra Huneeus at 12:00pm.
- November 13-17, 2017: International Education week, details pending
- March 13, 2018: Law and De-Globalization Series Speaker, Professor James Thuo Gathii, Loyola University Chicago School of Law. Hosted by Alexandra Huneeus at 12:00pm.
- March 15, 2018: Lecture by Max Chester,Foley Law Firm at 4:00pm in Lubar. Co-Sponsored by CREECA
- April 6-7, 2018: "Sustainable Development Goals and International Law: Intersections of Environmental Law, Human Rights and Environmental Justice," Wisconsin International Law Journal Annual Symposium. Details pending.
- April 12, 2018: Annual Soffa Lecture. 4:00pm, Pyle Center. Details pending. (GLS)
Past Lecture Series and Outreach Workshops
- Outreach Workshops on Global Legal Issues
- Reconceptualizing the Role of Law in Human Rights
- Legal Pluralism
- Series on Laws Response to Consequences of Violent Conflict
- Comparative EU Law