- September 23-24, 2016: American Society of International Law (ASIL) Midwest Interest Group Workshop. Hosted by Professors Alex Huneeus and Jason Yackee. Event details are available here.
September 28, 2016: “Judging and Gender Equity in the International Realm,” Mildred Fish Harnack Lecture by Viviana Krsticevic, Executive Director, Center for Justice and International Law, Washington, D.C. Sponsored by the Human Rights Program, GLS, and the International Division. 4:00pm, Pyle Center Alumni Lounge, followed by an informal reception.
To facilitate planning, please register here.
September 29, 2016: "Practicing International Human Rights Law: A Conversation with Viviana Krsticevic" sponsored by the Global Legal Studies Center, Human Rights Program, and Wisconsin International Law Society. 3:30pm, Lubar Commons (Room 7200). Light refreshments will be served on a first come-first served basis. All are welcome.
- October 3, 2016: South Asia Legal Studies Working Group, 7205 Law. By invitation.
- October 19, 2016: "Eastminister: State-Formation and Asia's Deviations from Westminster," Law & Society Speaker and GLS Speaker on Global Comparative Law, Dr. Harshan Kumarasingham, Max Planck Institute for European Legal History. Hosted by Professor Mitra Sharafi and co-sponsored by the South Asia Legal Studies Working Group and the Institute of Legal Studies, 12:00pm, Lubar Commons (7200 Law).
- October 19, 2016: Launch of Marc Galanter Digital Archive on Bhopal and academic workshop on Law and Accidents in South Asia, 2:00pm -6:30pm, Lubar Commons (7200 Law)
Keynote speaker: Jayanth Krishnan, Mauer School of Law, University of Indiana,"Reflecting on the State of Law and Society Scholarship on India: The Contributions of Marc Galanter"
- October 20, 2016: South Asia Legal Studies Pre-Conference Workshop, 10th anniversary celebration, 9:30am-5:30pm. Keynote speakers: Justice Chelameswar Jasti (Supreme Court of India) and Dr. Osama Siddique (Law and Policy Research Network, Pakistan and Harvard Law School), sponsored by GLS, UW Law School and the South Asia Legal Studies Working Group.
- November 7, 2016: South Asia Legal Studies Working Group, 7205 Law. By invitation.
- November 22, 2016: "The Necessity of the Political?: The Making of An Indigenous Tribunal in Colombia," Dr. Sandra Brunnegger, GLS Visiting Scholar. 12:00pm, Lubar Commons (7200 Law).
November 29, 2016: Professor Tendayi Achiume, GLS speaker on Global and Comparative Law, cosponsored by the International Relations colloquium of Political Science Department, "The Global Anti-Xenophobia Regime" 12:00pm, Lubar Commons (7200 Law).
- December 5, 2016: South Asia Legal Studies Working Group, 7205 Law. By invitation.
- February 14, 2017: Professor Arnulf Becker, GLS speaker on Global and Comparative Law, cosponsored by the International Relations colloquium of Political Science Department, details pending
- March 3, 2017 "Human Rights and the Trump Administration" cosponsored by the Human Rights Program, Pyle Center, 12:00pm, details pending
- March 31, 2017: "Regional Human Rights Systems in Crisis," Wisconsin International Law Journal Annual symposium (full day event), details pending
- April 21-22, 2017: Law of War Conference, details pending
- April 27, 2017: Soffa Lecture delivered by Dr Vandana Shiva, details pending
Past Lecture Series and Outreach Workshops
- Outreach Workshops on Global Legal Issues
- Reconceptualizing the Role of Law in Human Rights
- Legal Pluralism
- Series on Laws Response to Consequences of Violent Conflict
- Comparative EU Law