Lecture Series and Outreach Workshops
- Outreach Workshops on Global Legal Issues
- Reconceptualizing the Role of Law in Human Rights
- Legal Pluralism
- Series on Laws Response to Consequences of Violent Conflict
- Comparative EU Law
- February 12, 2013: Follow up information session on study abroad, noon-1:00, Lubar Commons. The program directors will explain the application and selection process.
- February 21, 2013: Panel Discussion on Delhi Rape Case, Center for South Asia spring lecture series, panelists/commentators: Sylvia Vatuk, Sana Aiyar, Laita du Peron and Chris Garlough, 12-1pm, 206 Ingraham Hall, co-sponsored by GLS and South Asia Legal Studies Working Group
- February 28, 2013: "Sex, Legal Pluralism and the Codex Iuris Canonici" by Patrick J. Wall in the speaker series on Legal Pluralism, 12:30-1:30pm, Lubar Commons, sponsored by GLS and UW Law School. A light lunch will be served on a first come first served basis.
- March 14, 2013: "Theorizing Freedom Cross-Culturally: Al Azhar and the Arab Spring," by Aria Nakissa (Brandeis University), Anthropology job candidate, 12-1:15pm, Lubar Commons, sponsored by Department of Anthropology and GLS. A light lunch will be served on a first come first served basis.
- March 14, 2013: "Children in Residential Care Institutions in Southeastern Europe and Commonwealth of Independent States: Causes, Risks, Solutions" by Professor Nevena Vuckovic-Sahovic, Union University, Belgrade, 206 Ingraham Hall, 4pm, sponsored by CREECA and co-sponsored by GLS.
- March 18, 2013: "The Role of Courts in "Making" Law in Japan: The Communitarian Conservatism of Japanese Judges," by Professor John Haley, Vanderbilt Law School, sponsored by EALSC and GLS, Noon-1:15pm, Lubar Commons (7200 Law) and hosted by Professor Jason Yackee. A light lunch will be provided on a first come first served basis.
- April 4, 2013: "The Dysfunctional Legal Effects of Secularization: South Asians and Muslim Law in England" by Dr Prakash Shah, Senior Lecturer and Director of GLOCUL: Centre for Culture and Law, Department of Law, Queen Mary, University of London, part of the speaker series on Legal Pluralism, sponsored by GLS, Center for South Asia, Center for European Studies and South Asia Legal Studies Working Group, Noon-1:00pm, 206 Ingraham Hall.
- April 11, 2013: "Human Rights in the Americas: Challenges for the Inter-American Court and Commission," by Diego Garcia-Sayan, Judge, Inter-American Court of Human Rights, hosted by Professor Alex Huneeus, 4:oo-5:00 pm, Lubar Commons (7200 Law), followed by a reception at 5:00pm. If you are planning to attend, please email Louis Condon with your institutional affiliation and contact details by April 5, 2013.
- April 12, 2013: "A Comparative Perspective on Social Justice Lawyering in Asia: Conditions, Practices, and Possibilities," WILJ annual symposium, 2260 Law, 8:30am - 6:00pm, Keynote address by Professor Andrew Harding, National University of Singapore, sponsored by WILJ, EALSC, GLS, ILS, ASM, Lectures Committee and UW Law School. Approved for 8.5 hours of CLE credit for WI attorneys.
- April 18, 2013: "Judging Inequalities: The Jurisprudence of the German Federal Constitutional Court," by Judge Susanne Baer, Judge of the German Constitutional Court, 4:00-5:00pm, Lubar Commons, sponsored by the European Union Center for Excellence and GLS, followed by a reception at 5:00pm. If you are planning to attend, please email Louis Condon with your institutional affiliation and contact details by April 12, 2013.
- May 10-11, 2013: Regional Colloquium on Globalization of Law, International Organizations and International Law, Lubar Commons (7200 Law), concurrent room tba. May 10 - Noon-5:00pm (followed by dinner for participants) and May 11 - 8:30-1:00pm.
- October 3, 2013: "Stripping of the Trust: A Study in Legal Evolution by Professor Adam Sl Hofri-Winogradow, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Visiting scholar, Georgetown Law Center, faculty workshop hosted by Professor Mitra Sharafi, co-sponsored by ILS and GLS, noon-1:15pm, Lubar Commons
- October 4-5, 2013: "Comparative EU Law," symposium to celebrate the 30th anniversary of UW Law-Giessen academic exchange, details pending
- October 17, 2013: 7th Annual South Asia Legal Studies Pre-conference Workshop. Keynote address by Justice Roshan Dalvi, Bombay High Court Judge
Call for panel proposals
- October 24, 2013: "Social Movements in France in the 1970s" by Professor Liora Isarel, Noon-1:15pm, sponsored by GLS in its
speaker series on "Comparative EU Law", details pending
- October 25-26, 2013: LSA 50th anniversary meeting and planning event, sponsored by UW Law School, ILS and GLS, details pending
- April 4-5, 2014: WILJ annual Symposium: Creation of International Law: Exploring the International Law Components of Peace, details pending