- February 1, 2017: Showing of "The Future of International Agreements" a webcast series on international law and the Trump Administration. 10:30am-11:30am in Lubar, all are welcome.
- February 7, 2017: Public forum on "Legality of Trump's Executive Order on Immigration," moderated by Professor Alexandra Huneeus. Speakers include: Professor Sara McKinnon (Communication Arts), Prof. Asifa Quraishi-Landes (UW Law), and Prof. Benjamin Harville (UW Law). 4:00pm in Room 2260 Law
- February 13, 2017: Information session on study abroad to explain the application and selection process, 3260 Law, Noon-1:pm, pizza will be served, open to all interested law students
- February 14, 2017: “Titu Cusi Yupanqui’s Account: The Tawantisuyo Invaded by Demons,” Professor Arnulf Becker, GLS speaker on Global and Comparative Law, cosponsored by the International Relations colloquium of Political Science Department, Noon-1:15pm, Lubar Commons (7200 Law)
- February 15, 2017: Second annual spring international law conference, sponsored by WILS and GLS, speakers: Professors Arnulf Becker, Alexandra Huneeus, Mark Copelovitch, John Ohnesorge and Erik Ibele, Noon-4:00pm, Lubar Commons
- March 3, 2017: Academic Forum on "Human Rights and the Trump Presidency" sponsored by the Human Rights Program, GLS and the International Division, Pyle Center, Room 325/326, 1:00-5:00pm. All are welcome
1:00pm Registration and refreshments
1:15-2:45 Panel on Domestic Issues
Moderator: James Delehanty (UW-IRIS)
Ben Harville (UW Law)
Dan Hausman (UW Philosophy)
Asifa Quraishi-Landes (UW Law)
Richard Monette (UW Law)
Carolina Sarmiento (UW Human Ecology)
3:00-4:15 Panel on International Issues
Moderator: Scott Straus (UW Political Science)
Alexandra Huneeus (UW Law)
Sumudu Atapattu (UW Law)
Sara McKinnon (UW Communication Arts)
Nancy Kendall (UW Education)
4:15-4:45 Informal reception
- March 16, 2017: "Law of EU/US Trade Relations,” by Jennifer Riccardi, Lubar Commons, 5:00pm, sponsored by the European Studies Alliance and co-sponsored by GLS, details pending.
- March 31, 2017: "Regional Human Rights Systems in Crisis," Wisconsin International Law Journal Annual symposium (full day event), Room 2260. For more information, visit HERE. Keynote speaker, Professor James Cavallaro.
To facilitate planning, please register here.
- 2017 WILJ Program with Bios and Abstracts available here.
- April 5, 2017: Live Streaming: ASIL "Trump Admninistration and the Future of Environmental Agreements" showing in Lubar Commons at 10:30am.
- April 3-6, 2017: UW-Madison's Public Interest Law Foundation's Community Justice week on the theme Immigration, co-sponsored by HRP
Monday, April 3rd, 12:00-1:00 pm: Mayor Paul Soglin of the City of Madison will be speaking in Room 2260 of the Law School. Mayor Soglin will present on immigration issues in the Madison community with a discussion to follow. Coffee and snacks will be provided.
Tuesday, April 4th, 12:00-1:00 pm: Attorney Shabnam Lotfi of Lotfi Legal LLC will be speaking in Room 3250 of the Law School. Attorney Lotfi will present on her experiences with clients impacted by the Executive Order, specifically nationals of Iran, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Libya, and Yemen, with a discussion to follow. Lunch will be provided.
Wednesday, April 5th, 12:00-1:00 pm: Students of UW-PILF and the Immigration Justice Clinic will be tabling in the Law School Atrium providing information on the Clinic to those interested in learning more about its services.
Thursday, April 6th, 12:00-1:00 pm: UW-Madison Professor Sara McKinnon will be speaking in Room 3250 of the Law School. Professor McKinnon will present on 'Refugees in America: Historical and Contemporary Issues' with a discussion to follow. Lunch will be provided.
- April 17, 2017: “The Role of Prosecutorial Discretion in Immigration Cases in the Wake of Trump’s Executive Orders," by Professor Shobha Whadia (via video link), Penn State University, Immigrant Justice week sponsored by the Latino Law Students Association and co-sponsored by HRP
April 18, 2017: "Workshop on Human Rights and Migration in Wisconsin," Pyle Center, Room 2260
2:00 Registration and refreshments
2:15-3:30 Panel 1 – Refugees, immigrants and rights
Moderator: Alexandra Huneeus
Speakers: Sara McKinnon, Jennifer Taylor, Armando Ibarra, Lucan
3:45-5:00 Panel 2 – Migration and communities in WI
Moderator: Stephen Young
Speakers: Zon Moua (Freedom Inc), Laura Minero, Jared Prado
- April 19, 2017: Panel on Human Rights In Focus with Jolly Okot (CEO of Women Empowerment Network Design) and Jestina M. Mukoko (National Director of the Zimbabwe Peace Project), 4:00pm, Pyle Center, African Studies Program and co-sponsored by HRP
- April 21-22, 2017: “Critical, Historical, and Comparative Perspectives on International Humanitarian Law” conference hosted by Professor Helen Kinsella (Political Science). Sponsored by the UW-Madison Political Science Department and co-sponsored by GLS. Pyle Center, for more information please visit our website.
- April 27, 2017: "Women Lead the Way: From Violence to Non-Violence, from Greed to Sharing, From Hate to Love," The J. Jobe and Marguerite Jacqmin Soffa lecture delivered by Dr Vandana Shiva, India 4pm, Alumni Lounge, Pyle Center (followed by an informal reception), for details visit here.