This has only been tested under WinXP; however, it may work on other operating systems.
- Go to the Start Menu on the bottom right toolbar. Select Settings, then
select Printers and Faxes. A "Printers and Faxes" window will open
up, and you will see something similar to below-- although it is unlikely
that you will have four printers or even the same four printers.
Click the "Add a printer" icon on the left.
- Click "Next."
- Make sure "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer"
is selected. Click "Next."
- Click the bottom option, "Connect to a printer on the Internet or on
a home or office network," and type into the URL box http://printq.law.wisc.edu:631/printers/law_lab
NOTE: the :631 in the URL is very important! Make sure the URL is typed exactly as above (the picture below scrolled, so the entire URL is not visible in the screenshot).
NOTE: LAIP should use the url http://printq.law.wisc.edu:631/printers/law_laip
NOTE: EJI should use the url http://printq.law.wisc.edu:631/printers/law_2221
NOTE: Lawyering Skills should use the url http://printq.law.wisc.edu:631/printers/law_ls
- After a short pause, you'll need to select the printer type. In the left
column select "HP" and in the right column for the COMPUTER LAB select "HP LaserJet
5M" as shown below; other printers please see NOTEs below.
NOTE: EJI users need to use "HP LaserJet P4014/P4015 PCL6"-- the 5M shown in the picture below will print gibberish. VISTA -- It has been report that if you are having trouble printing with Windows VISTA, try the 5M driver.
NOTE: LAIP should use the 5M driver as pictured below.
NOTE: Lawyering Skills should use the 5M driver as pictured below.
Click "OK" to continue.
- After a much longer pause you'll see the window below. Please be patient
while the computer thinks. It will return to a new window. If you did not
previously have a printer configured, you'll see #7 instead.
Click "Next" to continue.
- This is the last step. Click "Finish" and remote printing will
be set up.