University of Wisconsin doctoral, JD, and SJD students engaged in theoretically-informed, empirical research projects that investigate the origins, dynamics, and/or consequences of law and law-related social institutions. Preference is given to students who will be in their third year of graduate study or beyond during the period of the Fellowship and who have been regular participants in the Legal Studies Workshop Series. Students are expected to be in residence at UW-Madison for the duration of the Fellowship period. The Fellowship will be for the entire academic year. Attendance at the monthly workshops is required. The workshops for the 2017-2018 session will be on the following Fridays: September 8th, 2017; October 13th, 2017; November 10th, 2017; December 8th, 2017; February 9th, 2018; March 9th, 2018; April 13th, 2018; May 4th, 2018.
1. Coversheet with complete contact information
2. Brief research statement (1000 words maximum) that includes:
- Statement of the research problem that your research is addressing, including theoretical rationale and research questions and/or hypotheses,
- Description of empirical research methods and data sources,
- Statement of how the project will contribute to the study of law and society, to one or more disciplines or sub-disciplines, and to your future research activities,
- The stage of your research project at present (e.g., pre-, current, or post-data collection).
3. Curriculum Vitae
4. Brief (1-page) letter of support from a member of your dissertation committee or an advisor from your school or department.
Application Deadline: April 14th, 2017
Award Notification Date: May 15th, 2017
How to Apply to the ILS Law and Society Graduate Fellows Program
To apply, please submit your application materials (in a single PDF file) via email to the following address: email@example.com by April 14th at 5:00 pm. If preferred, the letter of support can be submitted directly by the recommender.
If you have any questions about the Law and Society Graduate Fellows Program, please contact Michelle Preston at firstname.lastname@example.org.