The Wisconsin Project on Governance and Regulation (WISGAR), co-directed by David Trubek and Louise Trubek, supported
teaching, and outreach on new forms of governance and alternative
regulation. The project examined specific areas in which regulatory
underway and explored changing concepts of regulation and governance.
Recently the project looked at three areas: health care governance,
regulatory regimes, and new approaches to environmental regulation in
Wisconsin. In addition to being a constituent project of the
Institute for Legal
Studies, WISGAR was affiliated with the Center for World Affairs and the
Global Economy (WAGE), the
UW Health Law Project, and the LaFollette School of Public Affairs. While WISGAR substantially completed its projects by 2008, plans are developing for activities in 2009 and beyond.
Selected WISGAR Events
- March 2-3, 2007 Workshop on Regulation and Governance of Health Care: Alternative Practices, Theories, and Visions.
Information and Program.
- April 16, 2007 Workshop on War on Cancer and Accountability for Outcomes: A Transatlantic Dialogue on How and Why of Success. Information and Program.
- July 26, 2007 Series on New Governance, Regulation and the Law. WISGAR, along with the Wisconsin EU Center of Excellence, the Law and Society Association Collaborative Research Network on Regulatory Governance (CRN), and the Centre for EU Law and Governance at University College London has organized a series of related sessions to be held in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of the Law and Society Association and the Research Committee on the Sociology Law at Humboldt University in Berlin on July 26. Information and Program.
- Nov. 17-18, 2006 Workshop on Legal Culture and the
Judicialization of Politics in Latin America Hosted by Javier Couso
(Diego Portales Law School and UW Visiting Tinker Professor 2006), Alexandra
Huneeus (Stanford 2006 and Wisconsin 2007), and Pablo Rueda (UC-Berkeley JSP).
Sponsored by the Global Legal Studies Initiative, the Institute for Legal
Studies, the Latin
Caribbeanand Iberian Studies Program (LACIS), the Center for World Affairs and the Global Economy (WAGE), and the UW Law School, in conjunction with the Law and Society Association Program on International Research Collaboration (PIRC). Information and Program
- May 26-27, 2006 Law and New Approaches to Governance. University College London.
- April 24, 2006
Workshop: Health and the European
Union Health Sciences Learning Center.
- April 24, 2006 Marshall-Monnet Lecture: The Turn to Governance in EU Environmental Law by Joanne Scott UW Law School Room 7200.
- April 21-22, 2006
Workshop: The Rise of New Governance and the
Transformation of Law. 206 Ingraham Hall.
Courses on Governance and Regulation
- Fall 2006: Selected Problems in Administrative Law: Regulatory Reform
- Fall 2005: Examining Regulatory Reform in the Law School Classroom
Publications on Governance and Regulation
- Institute for Legal Studies
- Center for World Affairs and the Global Economy (WAGE)
- UW Health Project
- LaFollette School of Public Affairs