The Veterans Law Center (VLC) is a free walk-in legal clinic that serves low-income veterans and their families. Volunteer attorneys, along with paralegals and law students, provide brief legal advice, information and referrals on a variety of civil legal matters. Additionally, staff from the Dane County Veterans Service Office provides information about military benefits and other resources available to veterans.
The University of Wisconsin Law School Pro Bono Program, in collaboration with the Dane County Bar Association, the Dane County Veterans Service Office, and Porchlight, Inc. developed the Veterans Law Center in 2012. Major funding is provided by the State Bar of Wisconsin and Habush, Habush & Rottier.
The VLC provides brief legal advice, information and referrals on a wide variety of civil legal matters. Volunteer attorneys, paralegals and law students at the VLC:
- Help identify the proper course of action in a legal matter
- Explain court rules and procedures
- Assist with the completion of court forms
- Provide referrals to alternative legal resources when appropriate
Staff from the Dane County Veterans Service Office provides information about military benefits, programs and services available to veterans
The VLC does NOT provide services (but may be able to suggest appropriate referrals) in the areas of DUIs and criminal matters.
- Military service members
- Family members of veterans
- Military service members who are low income
Volunteer Attorney & Student Training
Attorney training will now be conducted on an individual or small-group basis. Student training is offered once per semester. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Locations & Hours of Operation
City-County Building (2nd Thursday of each month, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.):
210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Room 108, Madison, WI 53703
VA Hospital (4th Friday of each month, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.):
2500 Overlook Terrace, Madison, WI 53705
(Please note that we do not hold clinics at the VA Hospital in November and December.)
VLC operates on a walk-in basis; no appointment necessary.
Special thanks to sponsors of individual VLC sessions: Axley Brynelson, L.L.C. (2013), Hupy and Abraham, S.C. (2013, 2014 and 2015), and Lawton & Cates, S.C. (2015).
Veterans Advisory Board
The Veterans Advisory Board is the VLC's oversight committee. Its purpose is to offer helpful insight to the VLC on how to maintain and improve the program's operations. The Veterans Advisory Board's members are as follows:
- Dan Connery, Veterans Service Officer, Dane County
- Jason Johns, Wisconsin Legislative Strategies
- Kevin Magee, Managing Attorney, Legal Action of WI-Madison
- Karen McKenzie, Former VLC Administrator and Attorney Coordinator
- Steve Schooler, Director, Porchlight
- David M. Stegall, Attorney and Shareholder, Lawton & Cates, S.C.
- Ed Zapala, Veterans Justice Outreach Specialist, VA
Ex Officio Membership
- Ben Kempinen, Faculty Advisor, UW Law School Pro Bono Program
- Marsha Mansfield, Faculty Advisor, UW Law School Pro Bono Program