Malcolm Pitman Sharp Hilldale Professor of the University of Wisconsin, Madison
Theodore W. Brazeau Professor of Law
A.B. 1952, Stanford University; LL.B. 1954, Stanford University.
Note Editor, Vol. 7, Stanford Law Review. Named Honored Review Alumnus for 1986, by the Editors of Vol. 38.
- Law Clerk to Chief Judge William Denman, U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1955-1956, San Francisco
- Bigelow Teaching Fellow and Instructor, University of Chicago Law School, 1956-1957
- Assistant, Associate and Full Professor, University of Wisconsin Law School, since 1957
- Malcolm Pitman Sharp Hilldale Professor of the University of Wisconsin, since 1984
- Foley and Lardner Bascom Professor of Law, 1991-93
- Theodore W. Brazeau Professor of Law, since July 1993
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, Stanford, California, 1966-1967
- Director, Chile Law Program of the International Legal Center, Santiago, August 1970-January 1972
- Visiting Professor, Faculty of Law and Jurisprudence, State University of New York at Buffalo, September 1972-June 1973
- Visitor, Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, Oxford University, Summer 1979
- Scholar in residence, Faculty of Law, University of Western Australia, Perth, July, 1986
- Visiting scholar, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto, Canada, September 1986
- Visiting scholar, Centro de Estudos Sociais, Universidade de Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal, January 1989
- Contracts I & Contracts II
- Sociology of Law
- Constitutional Law
- Unfair Trade Practices
- Business Organizations
- Law and Social Change in Latin America
- Psychology and the Law
- Dispute Processing
- Contract Theory Seminar
Selected Publications and Papers:
For downloads, see Papers.
- Macaulay, "Restitution in Context," 107 U. Pa. L.Rev.1133-1148 (1959).
- Macaulay, "Justice Traynor and the Law of Contracts," 13 Stanford L.Rev. 812-864 (1961).
- Macaulay, "Non-Contractual Relations and Business: A Preliminary Study," 28 American Sociological Rev. 55-69 (1963).
- Macaulay, Law and the Balance of Power -- The Automobile Manufacturers and Their Dealers, (Russell Sage Foundation 1966.)
- Macaulay, "Private Legislation and the Duty to Read -- Business by IBM Machine, the Law of Contracts and Credit Cards," 19 Vanderbilt L. Rev. 1051-1121 (1966).
- Friedman & Macaulay, Law and the Behavioral Sciences (Bobbs-Merrill 1969).
- Macaulay and Walster, "Legal Structures and Restoring Equity," 27 J. of Social Issues 173-188 (1971). (Translated as "Las Estructuras Legales y El Restablecimiento de la Equidad,") 15 Boletin del Instituto de Docencia e Investigacion Juridicas 89-107 (Santiago, Chile, November 1972).
- Macaulay, "El Derecho y Las Ciencias Conductuales: Algunas Reflexiones (Some Reflections on Law and the Social Sciences),"134 Boletin del Instituto de Docencia e Investigacion Juridicas 19-34 (Santiago, Chile, July 1972).
- Macaulay, "The Standardized Contracts of United States Automobile Manufacturers," in 3-21 International Encyclopedia of Comparative Law 18-34 (1974).
- Macaulay, Access to the Legal Systems of the Americas: Informal Processes (Center for Law and Behavioral Science, Madison, 1976).
- Friedman & Macaulay, Law and the Behavioral Sciences (2d ed., Bobbs-Merrill 1977).
- Macaulay, "Elegant Models, Empirical Pictures, and the Complexities of Contract," 11 Law & Society Review 507-528 (1977).
- Jacqueline and Stewart Macaulay, "Adoption for Black Children: A Case Study of Expert Discretion," in Rita James Simon, ed.,
Research in Law and Sociology: An Annual Compilation of Research (JAI Press 1978), pp. 265-318.
- Macaulay, "Lawyers and Consumer Protection Laws: An Empirical Study," 14 Law & Society Review 115-171 (1979).
- Macaulay, Law Schools and the World outside Their Doors II: Some Notes on Two Recent Studies of the Chicago Bar, 32 Journal of Legal Education 506 (1982).
- Macaulay, "Law and the Behavioral Sciences: Is There Any There There?" 6 Law & Policy 149-187 (1984).
- Macaulay, "An Empirical View of Contract," 1985 Wisconsin Law Review 465-482.
- Macaulay, "Lawyer Advertising: Yes But ..." Working Papers/Institute for Legal Studies: 2 (Dispute Processing Research Program: Working Paper 7-3, Madison, Wisconsin, 1985). Portions are reprinted in Deborah Rhode and David Luban, Legal Ethics (1995).
- Macaulay, "Private Government," in Lipson & Wheeler (eds.) Law and Social Science, (Russell Sage Foundation: 1986), pp. 445-518.
- Macaulay, "Images of Law in Everyday Life: The Lessons of School, Entertainment, and Spectator Sports," 21 Law & Society Review 185-218 (1987).
- Macaulay, "Popular Legal Culture: An Introduction," 98 Yale Law Journal 1545-1558 (1989).
- Macaulay, "Long-Term Continuing Relations: the American Experience Regulating Dealerships and Franchises," in C. Joerges (ed.) Franchising and the Law: Theoretical and Comparative Approaches in Europe and the United States, at 179-237 (Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft 1991).
- Macaulay, "The Reliance Interest and the World Outside the Law Schools' Doors." 1991 Wisconsin Law Review 247-91.
- Macaulay, Business Adaptation to Regulation: What Do We Know and What Do We Need to Know? 15 Law & Policy Quarterly 259-270 (1993).
- Macaulay, The Future of American Lawyers, 20 Sociologia del Diritto 51-69 (1993).
- Macaulay, Wisconsin's Legal Tradition, 24 Gargoyle 6-10 (1994).
- Macaulay, The Impact of Contract Law on the Economy: Less Than Meets the Eye? Paper given at a Conference on Law and Modernization, Lima Peru, July, 1994.
- Macaulay, The Last Word, 22 Journal of Law and Society 149 (1995).
- Macaulay, Crime and Custom in Business Society, 22 Journal of Law and Society 248 (1995).
- Macaulay, Kidwell, Whitford & Galanter, Contracts: Law in Action (Michie & Co. 1995).
- Macaulay, Friedman & Stookey, Law & Society: Readings on the Social Study of Law (W.W. Norton & Co. 1995).
- Macaulay, Organic Transactions: Contract, Frank Lloyd Wright and the Johnson Building, 1996 Wisconsin Law Review 75.
- Kenworthy, Macaulay & Rogers, The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same: Business Litigation and Governance in the American Automobile Industry, 21 Law and Social Inquiry 631 (1996).
- Macaulay, Willard's Law School? 1997 Wisconsin Law Review 1163.
- Grossman, Kritzer & Macaulay, Do the "Haves" Still Come Out Ahead? 33 Law & Society Review 803 (1999).
- Macaulay, Relational Contracts Floating on a Sea of Custom? Thoughts about the Ideas of Ian Macneil and Lisa Bernstein, 94 Nw. U.L. Rev. 775 (2000).
- Macaulay, Almost Everything That I Did Want to Know About Contract Litigation: A Comment on Galanter, 2001 Wisconsin Law Review 629.
- Macaulay, The Real and the Paper Deal: Empirical Pictures of Relationships, Complexity and the Urge for Transparent Simple Rules, 66 The Modern Law Review 44 (2003). This paper is also included in Implicit Dimensions of Contract: Discrete, Relational & Network Contracts, David Campbell, Hugh Collins & John Wightman eds. (Hart Publishing Co. 2003).
- Macaulay, Kidwell, Whitford & Galanter, Contracts: Law in Action (LexisNexis 2d ed. 2003).
- Macaulay, Freedom From Contract: Solutions in Search of a Problem? 2004 Wis. L. Rev. 777.
- Macaulay, The New v. The Old Legal Realism: "Things
Ain't What They Used to Be," 2005 Wis. L. Rev. 367.
- Member, Board of Advisors to the Reporter, Restatement (Second) Contracts, American Law Institute, 1962-1979.
- Board of Directors, Center for Public Representation, Madison, WI., 1975-1978.
- Advisory Committee, University of Toronto Law Journal, 1973-86.
- Editorial Advisory Board, Law & Society Review, 1973-1977; 1982-86.; 1990-97.
- Editorial and Advisory Review Board, Law and Human Behavior, 1977-90.
- Senior Editor, Law & Policy, 1983-87.
- Board of Trustees of the Law and Society Association, 1977-1980.
- Associate Editor, Law and Society Review, 1978-1982.
- Advisory Panel, National Science Foundation, Law and Sociology Program, 1980-1983.
- Advisory Board, Australian Journal of Law and Society, 1981-90.
- Research Committee, American Bar Foundation, 1984- .
- President-Elect, Law and Society Association, 1983-1985; President, Law and Society Association, 1985-1987; Past-President, Law and Society Association, 1987-89.
- Panel on Research on Taxpayer Compliance Behavior, Committee on Research on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice, Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, National Research Council, National Academy of Science, 1984-1988.
- Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, National Research Council, National Academy of Science, 1985-92.
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1994.
- Member, Program Committee, Law and Society Association Annual Meeting, Madison, WI., June 5-12, 1989; Chicago, Illinois, May 1993; Las Vegas, Nevada, June 2005
- Member, Harry Kalven, Jr. Prize Committee, Law and Society Association, 1991-1993
- Recipient of the Harry Kalven Prize, June 1995.
- Program Committee, Law and Society Association Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, June 2005.
- Outstanding Scholar Award, Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, February 2004.
Back to top