Third year law students are invited to join in the cane toss tradition during the UW Homecoming festivities. The festivities begin at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, October 12, 2013 with a barbecue in the atrium of the Law School. Dean Raymond will then lead third year students to the north end zone of the stadium. Before kick off, students will run across the field and toss their canes over the goalposts. As the custom goes, if the student catches the cane as it comes down on the other side, their first case will be a victory. If they drop the cane, they will lose the case. Read more about the history of the cane toss tradition.
Dean Margaret Raymond provides a discount to students attending the barbecue and football game.
Family members are also welcome to attend, but must have a ticket to enter the stadium. For information on registering for the cane toss events, please contact Kimberly (Frank) Raether.
Game Day Information
Important information for 3L's participating in the cane toss is below. Please read this information carefully.
Game Day Instructions:
1. Only GRADUATING LAW STUDENTS are allowed on the field to participate in the cane toss. You MUST be wearing the CANE TOSS FIELD ACCESS BUTTON you received with your order in order to get onto the field. NO friends or family members are allowed on the field. Additionally, at no time are children or anyone under the age of 18 allowed on the field during badger football games. Students who choose to disobey the above rules will be kicked out of the stadium and will not be allowed back in.
2. You may pick up your tickets, cane toss field access buttons, hats and canes beginning at 11:30 A.M. in the Atrium of the Law School. You must have your payment voucher with you in order to confirm payment and pick up your tickets.
3. The barbecue will begin at 11:30 A.M. in the Atrium.
4. Students who will be using their own student ticket must leave at 1:10 P.M. in order to make it to the stadium and enter through the student gate and then make your way over to Gate 4 to meet the rest of the group.
5. Dean Raymond will be leading all Law students from the Law School down to Camp Randall for the Cane Toss. We will leave the Law School at 1:20 P.M. SHARP in order to make it to the stadium and into the North end zone before the band.
6. If you are not attending the barbecue, it would be best to meet at the law school at 1:20 p.m. to walk to the stadium with the rest of the group. Special accommodations have been made for our group to enter through Gate. If you prefer not to walk with the group, it is your responsibility to make it to Gate 4 and into the North end zone by 1:40 P.M. in order to run with the rest of the group.
7. The UW Law School and the University of Wisconsin are not responsible for any items lost or stolen during the cane toss.
8. Guests wanting to observe the cane toss should be in their seats no later than 1:40 P.M.
The carry-in policies at Camp Randall have changed since last year. Please review Camp Randall’s carry-in policy prior to the Cane Toss. It is also recommended that you not carry anything with you onto the field that you do not want to lose during the run across the field.
Please also review the Game Day Access Map to help clarify the location of the north and south end zones as well as Gate 4.