Information for Current Graduate Program Students

How to Register for your Law School Courses

1.      After going through the demonstration, go to

2.      Select the “My UW” link.

3.      Click on “Activate my NewID” link (at the top of the page) and follow the directions.

4.      Log into the website.

5.      Select “Visit the Student Center” link.

6.      Under the “Academic” section, select “Course Enrollment.

7.      Select the appropriate term. For Fall 2017, select 1182.

8.      Register for the course or courses THAT HAVE BEEN AUTHORIZED FOR YOU. LLM-LI students have been authorized for Law 601 and Law 602 and may register for these now; follow the information on your Authorization Forms. LLM and SJD students must meet with their advisors and submit a signed Authorization Form to the Graduate Programs office before registering.

LLM-LI Law Students

LLM-LI Course Authorization Form: The LLM-LI Course Authorization Form may be filled out online, printed and submitted to the Graduate Programs Office or emailed to

Credit Overload Form: The Credit Overload Form is required by the Graduate Programs when an LL.M.-L.I. student takes more than 12 credits per semester. Please complete the form (you may fill it in online and print it out) and give to your advisor to sign. This form is not related to any forms required by International Student Services.

LLM/SJD Law Students

The LLM/SJD Course Authorization Form is completed in part by you and in part by your advisor. Your part of the form may be filled in online and then print the form to take to your advisor. Please also take the Directed Research Recommended Schedule with you to your advisor meeting, to ensure you and your advisor are both clear about the deadlines and expectations for your research and writing.

Final Exam Information

If you are a Graduate Programs student who is taking one or more courses that will have an exam, then read the rules pertaining to exams. You are expected to take your finals at the scheduled times unless there is some "extraordinary and compelling circumstance". Please refer to Law School Rule 6.03 for specific information about rescheduling.

Final Exam Schedule

Current Grading Report

Stress and Finals

The University Health Services (UHS) offers both primary care and mental health counseling services.  The UHS primary number is 608-265-5600 and the mental health number is 608-265-5600, option 9. 24 hour crisis services are also available. The 24 Hour Crisis Service Number is also 608-265-5600, option 9. 

The Wisconsin State Bar’s Wisconsin Lawyers Assistance Program (WISLAP) has a 24-hour help line. You can reach WISLAP at 800-543-2625. 

VISA and ISS Information

Important VISA Information (international students): For information regarding your F-1 and J-1 visa, please review the Current Student section of the International Student Services website. This section strives to keep all current international students with F-1 and J-1 visas up to date on your legal responsibilities in the U.S. If after reading this information you still have questions please feel free to call or visit ISS for more detailed information. If you are on an F-1 (or a J-1) student visa, you are responsible to KNOW THE END DATE on your I-20 (or DS-2019). 

If your program is not completed but the end date on your I-20 (or DS-2019) is within 4 weeks of expiring, go the International Student Services office in the Red Gym to find out how to extend your I-20. Do not wait until after your I-20 ends.  Students who have forgotten to check the expiration date have run into problems and we would like to avoid that happening to you.

Information regarding OPT can be found here -

Policies and Procedures

Graduate Programs Handbook: The Graduate Programs Office has put together important related to your studies and life here in Madison. You will receive a copy of a handbook for your program at orientation. It is important to keep your handbook and reference it throughout your program. It has general information about the University of Wisconsin Law School and specific information about your program.

Here are the links to the current LLM-LI HandbookLLM Handbook, and SJD Handbook for review.

UW Policies and Procedures: The University of Wisconsin has a set of policies and procedures for academic and non-academic misconduct. It is your responsibility to be familiar with these rules so please read them and ask questions if there is anything you do not understand. The dire consequences for violating these rules are given as well as the procedures and your rights as a student if you are found to have violated the rules.

Law School Rules: The Law School has its own set of rules, which can be found on the University of Wisconsin Law School Website. Most of these rules apply to students in the J.D. program, not to Graduate Program students.  However, the general rules, such as those about attendance in class and exams, apply to all students at the Law School.  

Fire/Tornado Drills: The signal for a fire (either a "drill" [practice] or a real fire) is a loud alarm noise.  Follow the directions given below -- "Emergency signals to leave the Law School". Exit the building calmly and quickly. 

Emergency signals to leave the Law School: Whether you are in a classroom or elsewhere in the Law School, when there is an alarm signal, gather your belongings and leave the building using the exit closest to where you are. You will be informed when you can re-enter the building. Maps of emergency exits are posted around the Law School; please look at them so you are prepared.

Thefts at the Law School: The Law School, including the Law Library, is an "open" building and thefts do occur from time to time, we're sorry to say. Please take necessary precautions - do NOT leave your wallet, computer, or other valuables unattended.

Recycle! Please note the various "bins" in the Law School for your trash, newspapers, plastic bottles or cans, etc. Please use the correct bin to help the environment. 

Lock Icon