I. Fundamentals (both courses required)
- Family Law I
- Family Law II
Students may satisfy the Family Law I course requirement by participating in either of the family law clinics, i.e., LAIP’s “Family Law Project” (a prison-based clinical program) or the Family Court Assistance Project.
II. Advanced Principles (one of these courses)
- Marital Property Law
- Selected Problems in Family Law: Controversies in Marriage, Divorce and Custody Law
- Adoption Law and Policy
- other Selected Problems in Family Law (Law 939) course designated as fulfilling “Advanced Principles” requirements.
III. Simulation and Experiential Component
Students are required to complete a minimum of six credits of simulation and/or experiential course work. They can satisfy the requirement by participating in:
- Family Court Assistance Project
- LAIP’s Family Law Project (a prison-based clinical program)
- Domestic Violence Externship.
Students may also take one or more of the following courses to satisfy this requirement:
- - Client Interviewing and Counseling
- - Lawyering Skills (7 credits; Spring Term with Prof. Viney)
- - Trial Advocacy
- - Restorative Justice Project (two semesters)
IV. Economics of Family Law
Family lawyers must have a grasp of the many issues involved in family law and must also have a working knowledge of tax, estate planning and business law. Students must take at least one of the following courses:
- Tax I
- Trusts and Estates
V. Elective Courses
Students are required to take an additional six credits of course work from elective courses related to Family Law:
- Children, Law and Society
- Comparative Family Law
/Directed Research (w/Family Law topic) Reading
- Domestic Violence
- Juvenile Justice Administration
- Law and People with Disabilities
- Law and the Elderly
- Poverty Law
- Selected Problems in Family Law
- Use of Trusts in Estate Planning
Student earning a 3.5 cumulative average in courses fulfilling Family Law Concentration requirements will receive Honors in the Concentration.
Questions with respect to the above Concentration requirements should be sent to Professor Tonya Brito at email@example.com .