GLS faculty member, Professor Jason Yackee spends a semester at Thammasat University as Fulbright Scholar
Professor Alexandra Huneeus takes over as Director of GLS from July 1, 2016.
The Human Rights Program receives a grant from the International Division
GLS Director, Associate Dean Heinz Klug, receives an honorary doctorate. Read more.
GLS wins grant for Human Rights Program. Read more.
The Global Legal Studies Center (GLS) is a joint program of the University of Wisconsin Law School and the International
Division of UW-Madison. Through this program, the Law School and the International Division
work together to promote the understanding of international,
transnational, and comparative legal systems, processes and regimes and
this knowledge to students and constituencies on and off campus.
The Center's goal is to support research in international legal studies, organize workshops and conferences, expand connections with scholars and institutions in the U.S. and overseas, deepen links with other international programs on campus, and share expertise. The Center will concentrate on three areas in which UW-Madison has special strengths:
- International economic law, including global corporate governance, transnational economic regulation, comparative antitrust and competition law, transatlantic relations, and global Internet law;
- Development and transition, including the rule of law, law and development, comparative economic law, trade and sustainable development; and
- Human Rights, Democracy and Governance, including comparative constitutionalism, implementing socio-economic rights and humanitarianism.
GLS affiliated programs/groups:
- Research Circle on the Role of Law in Developing and Transitional Societies
- Research Collaborative on Remaking the Developmental State
- Law and the New Developmental State (LANDS)
- Law and Development in Brazil in Global Context
- Law and Emerging Economies (LEE)
- Globalization and Lawyering in Emerging Economies (GLEE)
- Sustainable Ethanol Production in Brazil
- Climate Migration
- Outreach workshops on Global Legal Issues