Instructor(s) Schweitzer, Nick
Professional Responsibilities: How lawyers see and resolve real world ethical problems by applying the Rules of Professional Conduct, other legal standards and non-doctrinal standards, including personal ethics is this courses work. Real world ethics scenarios will reveal how some dilemmas are decided by legal standards while others allow for a range of legally permissible responses. While choice enables freedom, it obligates wise decision making which is the main learning objective of this course. Grading is based on a final exam, short written assignments and active class participation.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to
1. find and interpret the Rules of Professional Conduct for a particular jurisdiction.
2. find and use other sources of guidance on ethical issues, including formal Ethics Opinions and reported Disciplinary Cases.
3. apply the Rules of Professional Conduct to real-life situations.
4. recognize the most common ethical issues involved in being a lawyer.
5. understand their own approach to ethical problems.