LEGAL STUDIES INSTITUTE
May 22 – August 1, 2014
Deadline: March 18, 2014
· Legal Internship: Participants will be placed in a 9-week summer legal internship where they will work full-time and gain substantive experience in the legal profession. Internship sites include law firms, courts, public interest organizations and the legal departments of trade associations, corporations and government agencies.
· Briefings and Activities: Participants will attend private briefings at institutions of the judicial, legislative and executive branches and will meet with prominent judges, lawyers and judicial scholars. Previous guest speakers have included:
o Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
o Former Attorney General Michael Mukasey
o U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit Chief Judge Alex Kozinski
o D.C. Federal Court of Appeals Judge Douglas Ginsburg
· Career Development Activities: Workshops will be held to help prepare participants for success in their law careers, and planned networking events will facilitate professional interaction.
· Attorney Mentor Program: Each participant will be matched with an experienced lawyer who will serve as a professional mentor during and after the program.
· Constitutional Law Course at Georgetown Law: You will be enrolled in a constitutional law course titled “Originalism in Action.” Classes will be held at Georgetown University Law Center and taught by Georgetown Law faculty. Students will receive credit from Ohio Northern University Pettit School of Law or from Georgetown University Law Center for an additional fee.
· Housing: Students will live in fully-furnished apartments in downtown Washington, DC and are matched with other Institute participants as roommates. The apartments provide easy access to the DC metro transportation system.
· Scholarships: 70% of students receive scholarship awards based on financial need and merit.
“LSI was the most remarkable experience for which I could have asked. I met wonderful people, was placed in an intellectually stimulating internship, and was offered many professional opportunities. If I could, I would participate again in a heartbeat.”
Michelle Anderson, Louisiana State University Law Center
Legal Intern, D.C. Office of Administrative Hearings
Applications will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis. Students are encouraged to apply by the early deadline of February 6, 2014 to receive priority admissions consideration and a 5% discount on their tuition balance. Many legal internship sites request resumes early in the year for their upcoming summer positions, so applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please visit www.DCinternships.org/LSI for more details and to begin an application. Questions may be directed to Colin Parks, Legal Studies Institute Program Manager, at LEGAL@tfas.org or 202.986.0384
Submitted by Mike Hall on February 25, 2014
This article appears in the categories: Announcements