We are having a problem with someone smoking in the Law School Building
on the 2nd floor in the bathrooms (one of which is used as a
baby-changing area). I am sorry to have to remind everyone of the UW
Madison Smoke Free Policy.
Bottom Line is that smoking is absolutely not allowed in the building. Whoever is doing this, please cease immediately.
(Thank you to our smoking members who do follow the rules - it has been a brutal winter for outdoor break time.)
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Effective March 1, 2008
The compelling scientific findings, as summarized by the United States Surgeon General and the Environmental Protection Agency, indicate that the simple separation of buildings into “smoking” and “non-smoking” sections does not eliminate the unequivocal health risks that result from Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS). These health concerns mandate that the right of a non-smoker to breathe air free of environmental tobacco smoke takes precedence over the right of a smoker to smoke. In light of the clear health hazards associated with tobacco smoke for smokers and non-smokers alike, the University of Wisconsin- Madison adopted a SMOKE-FREE POLICY effective April 8, 1991. Based on input from the campus community and experience with the original policy, the UW-Madison SMOKE-FREE POLICY was reviewed and amended in 1995 and in 2008 to the following:
1. All buildings, facilities and vehicles, regardless of location, which are owned or leased by the University of Wisconsin-Madison, will be entirely SMOKE-FREE. Except as noted below, the SMOKE-FREE policy will apply to all indoor air space, including individual faculty and administrative offices, and the stairwells and other enclosed portions of parking ramps.
2. Smoking will not be permitted near exits and entrances of buildings,
except at a reasonable distance (25 feet or more) or unless otherwise
3. All indoor air space of University-owned and leased athletic facilities will be SMOKE-FREE.
4. Memorial Union and Union South will be SMOKE-FREE with the exception of designated hotel rooms.
5. University residence halls will be SMOKE-FREE. University apartments will be SMOKE-FREE, with the exception of certain apartments.
6. University of Wisconsin-Madison Health Sciences facilities and grounds that are adjacent to or within the boundary of the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority premises, including the facilities and grounds of the Waisman Center and the Rennebohm Hall of Pharmacy, will be entirely SMOKE-FREE. A map showing the boundary of the combined UW-Madison Health Sciences and University of Wisconsin
Hospital and Clinics Authority SMOKE FREE premises is included as Attachment A to this Policy.
7. Campus units may adopt more stringent smoke-free policies for the lands and facilities under their control. All such unit-specific policies shall be submitted to the Vice Chancellor for Administration for approval prior to implementation. The approved unit-specific policies are set forth in Attachment B to this Policy.
8. The Vice Chancellor for Administration, room 100 Bascom, 263-9943 has been designated as the clearinghouse for complaints and other smoking policy matters.
Office of the Chancellor
Submitted by UW Law School Newsletter Admin on January 7, 2009
This article appears in the categories: Announcements