Voss-Bascom Professor of Law
In Memoriam 1958-2011
J.D., University of Minnesota Law School
Conflict of Laws
Feminist Legal Theory
- 1996-present Law Faculty, University of Wisconsin Law School. (Property, Women's Legal History, Conflict of Laws, Feminist Legal Theory).
- 1990-1996 Law Faculty, Northwestern University Law School.
- 1987-1990 Associate, Powell, Goldstein, Frazer & Murphy, Washington, D.C.
- 1986-87 Judicial Clerk, Hon. Theodore A. McMillian, Circuit Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
- 1985-86 Judicial Clerk, Hon. Rosalie E. Wahl, Associate Justice, Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Member Bar of State of Minnesota; Bar of District of Columbia; Bar of U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
B.A., Macalester College, 1980.
Magna cum laude
Highest History honors
Phi Beta Kappa
Katherine Rock Hauser Award in Women's History
J.D., University of Minnesota Law School, 1985.
Magna cum laude
Order of Coif
Articles Editor, Journal of Law & Inequality
- Hard Bargains: The Politics of Sex (Oxford Press, 1998) (with Linda R.Hirshman).
ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Feminism in Relation, Wisc. Women's L.J. (forthcoming 2002) (symposium volume introduction with Catherine Albiston, & Tonya Brito).
- Informality, Illegality, and Inequality, 20 Yale L. & Pol'y Rev. 137 (2002). A related essay is published as "Informality, Legality and Inequality: U.S. Law and Informal Housing," Land Tenure Center Working Paper Series (Land Tenure Center Working Paper Series: 2000).
- "Sexual Labor," in Directions in Sexual Harassment Law (Catharine A. MacKinnon & Reva Siegel, eds., Harvard Univ. Press: 2001).
- Both Work and Violence: Prostitution and Human Rights, in Moral Imperialism: A Critical Anthology (Berta E. Hernandez-Truyol, ed., New York Univ. Press: 2002) (with Berta E. Hernandez-Truyol).
- "The Jurisprudence of Rosalie E. Wahl," in The Judicial Career of Rosalie E. Wahl, (Minnesota State Law Library 2000).
- "A Good Story" and "The Real Story," 34 John Marshall L. Rev. 181 (2000).
- "Even a Worm Will Turn at Last": Rape Reform in Late Nineteenth Century America, 9 Yale J. L. & Hums. 1 (1997).
- "A House Divided": Using Dred Scott to Teach Conflict of Laws, 27 Toledo L. Rev. 3 (1996).
- Free Markets Deep in the Heart of Texas, 83 Geo. L. J. 179 (1995). Reprinted by Land Tenure Center Working Paper Series, Reprint No. 150 (Feb. 2000).
- "Women Understand So Little, They Call My Good Nature `Deceit'": A Feminist Rethinking of Seduction, 93 Colum. L. Rev. 374 (1993).
- Book Review: The New Home Economics, 10 Const. Comm. 1801 (1993) (review of Richard Posner's Sex and Reason).
- "Imagine Her Satisfaction": The Transformative Task of Feminist Tort Work, 33 Washburn L. J. 801 (1993).
- "That's Not History": Boundaries of Advocacy and Scholarship, 12 The Public Historian 33 (Summer 1990), with Clyde S. Spillenger.
- The Constitutionality of the Independent Counsel Statute, 25 Am. Crim L. Rev. 187 (Fall 1987), with Simon Lazarus III.
- "Making Legitimacy into Legality: Land Reform, Land Security, and Wealth Creation from Informal Housing" (article in draft).
- Labor Rights, Human Rights and Sex Work," (article in draft) (with Berta Hernandez-Truyol).
- The Legal History of Incest.
PUBLISHED SPEECHES, SHORT ESSAYS, REPORTS AND BRIEFS
- Magazine Essay, "Two Concepts of Hysteria (Apologies to the late Isaiah Berlin)," Salon, Dec. 1998 (with Linda R. Hirshman).
- Final Report and Recommendations of the Eighth Circuit Gender Fairness Task Force, 31 Creighton L. Rev. 9 (1997).
- Symposium Introduction, Third Wave -- Can Feminists Use the Law to Effect Social Change in the 1990s?, 87 Nw.U. L. Rev. 1252 (1993).
- Brief of 250 American Historians, filed amicus curiae in Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey (Nos. 91-744 and 91-902, April 22, 1992), with Sylvia Law and Clyde S. Spillenger.
- Brief of 281 American Historians, filed amicus curiae in Webster v. Reproductive Health Services (No. 88-605, July 3, 1989), reprinted in 12 The Public Historian 57 (Summer 1990), with Sylvia Law and Clyde S. Spillenger.
- The Sexual Injustice of the Traditional Family, 77 Cornell L. Rev. 997 (1992) (reprint of speech to Federalist Soc'y).
RECENT INVITED PAPERS AND WORKSHOPS
- Faculty Workshop, "Making Legitimacy into Legality," University of Illinois Law School, Feb. 21, 2002.
- Faculty Workshop, "Making Legitimacy into Legality," University of Florida Levin College of Law, Oct. 26, 2001.
- Commentator, Feminist Theories of Relation In the Shadow of the Law: An Interdisciplinary Critical Dialogue on Theory, University of Wisconsin Law School, Oct. 5, 2001.
- Conference Paper, "Creating Wealth Through Land Titling in the Colonias," Who Owns America III?, Land Tenure Center, June 7, 2001.
- Conference Paper, "Informality, Illegality and Inequality: Comparative and Co-Constitutive Constructions of Identity," Lat Crit VI, University of Florida Levin College of Law, April 27, 2001.
- Conference Paper, "Labor Rights, Human Rights and Sex Work," Commodification Futures: Retheorizing Commodification, Mar. 30, 2001 (with Berta Hernandez-Truyol).
- Faculty Workshop, "Informality, Illegality and Inequality," UCLA Law School, CA., Mar. 2, 2001.
- Faculty Workshop, "Informality, Illegality and Inequality," Seton Hall Law School, Feb. 2, 2001.
- Conference Paper, "Commodifying Intimacies," Workshop on Gender, Work & Family, Washington College of Law, American University, June 23, 2000.
- Panel Commentator, "The Kaleidoscope of Legal Pluralism: The Case of Colombia," Law & Society, Miami, Fl., May 26, 2000.
- Conference Paper, "Informality, Illegality and Inequality," Lat-Crit IV, Breckenridge, CO., May 6, 2000.
- Law & Equality Workshop, "When Formal and Informal Collide," University of Michigan Law School, Feb. 24, 2000.
- Faculty Workshop, "Informality, Legality and Equality," Land Tenure Center, Nov. 18, 1999.
- Conference Paper, "The Languages of Race, Feminism, Anthropology and Philosophy: Translating for the Legal Skills Classroom," John Marshall Law School, Nov. 4, 1999.
- Author Meets Reader Panel on Hard Bargains: The Politics of Sex, Law & Society, Chicago, IL., May 28, 1999.
- Faculty Workshop, "A Labor Theory of Prostitution," University of Minnesota Law School, Jan. 28, 1999.
1999, H. I. Romnes Faculty Fellowship, University of Wisconsin, (,000 research fund awarded to a faculty member of proven scholarly potential at a dynamic period of career development). 1998-1999 Chair, Section on Remedies, American Association of American Law Schools.
1998, Visiting Fellow, European University Institute Faculty of Law, Fiesole, Italy.
1994-95 & 1996-97 Winner of Robert Childres Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence, Northwestern University School of Law.
- Institute for Legal Studies
- Land Tenure Center
- Law & Society Association