You Belong Here

Regardless of immigration status, UW wants all students to know that "you belong here" and are an integral part of the UW campus community.

Campus Resources

As a University of Wisconsin law student, you are entitled to all resources provided by and through the UW system.

For information about campus resources, job search, general information, and employment options, visit SuccessWorks - Undocumented Students.

Know Your Rights

Classrooms, Dorms & Places of Worship

ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) has designated classrooms and places of worship as “sensitive locations,” meaning that ICE will make arrests at sensitive locations only in exigent circumstances or emergency situations requiring swift action to prevent imminent danger to life or serious damage to property, or to forestall the imminent escape of a suspect, or destruction of evidence.

The Right to Remain Silent

Individuals confronted by ICE agents may invoke the right to remain silent and to refuse to answer questions or consent to any kind of search.

Frequently Asked Questions

If my DACA status expires, do I need to drop out of UW Law?

No, students do not need to drop out if their DACA status expires. Enrollment at UW Law is not based on DACA status.

What financial support options are available for DACA students?

Under current state law, UW does not have the authority to grant resident tuition status to undocumented students or those with DACA, and generally DACA students are not eligible for federal, state, or institutional need-based financial aid. However, private funds are available through resources provided by the Dean of Students Office: Supporting DACA Recipients: 5 Things to Know.

DACA students may also qualify for multiple UW Law scholarships, which can be found on UW Law School Scholarships.

Where can DACA students receive free legal services about their status and/or other immigration related questions?

The Immigrant Justice Clinic at UW Law and the Community Immigration Law Center will provide you with an opportunity to speak with an immigration attorney.

Can DACA students apply to positions which require authorization to work?

Yes, current DACA recipients retain authorization to work in the U.S. until their DACA status expires.

Is U.S. Citizenship required to take the bar exam?

At this time, there is no known requirement that a bar examinee be a U.S. Citizen. It is always prudent to check with state-specific rules and requirements for bar exams. A good resource is NCBE’s Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements.

When will my DACA information be shared? (FERPA information)

Certain information about you, referred to as “directory information,” can be shared with others without your consent. Directory information is public information unless you have a FERPA hold on your student record and for third-party requests (e.g. a company wanting to market to students). Learn more about FERPA.

Even with a FERPA hold, the University may share your information with others in certain situations. For example, UW-Madison employees with an academic need to know (e.g. your professor) will still be able to access certain pieces of your student record. UW may also be legally required to provide information from your education record in response to subpoena or other governmental order or request. Learn how to place a FERPA hold on your student record.

Where can I find more information on these issues?

You are encouraged to contact Dreamers of Wisconsin, who also provide financial support, and Center for DREAMers.

Other resources include WIN or the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.


The information provided on this webpage does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials on this webpage are for general informational purposes only. Information on this webpage may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information.


Resources mentioned in the informational sheet and on this webpage:




Lock Icon