2023 Competition Information
The University of Wisconsin Law School Moot Court Board is pleased to announce that it will host its annual Evan A. Evans Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition from Friday, February 17, 2023 through Sunday, February 19, 2023.
The competition is open to all law schools accredited by the American Bar Association.
During the first two preliminary rounds, each team will argue on-brief once and off-brief once. Then, the competition director will randomly assign teams to argue either on-brief or off-brief for future rounds.
Competition judge panels will be composed of experienced trial attorneys and judges from various state and federal courts.
About Judge Evans
The Honorable Evan A. Evans, an 1899 graduate of the University of Wisconsin Law School, served as a judge (1916-1934) and senior judge (1934-1948) on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
He maintained strong ties to the University of Wisconsin by serving as a trustee of the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, as a president of the Alumni Association, and as a member of the Board of Visitors.
While on the bench, Judge Evans asked for and received a separation of the duties handled by the circuit and district court. This meant the district court would handle all of the trial work while the circuit court handled the growing number of appeals. Judge Evans’ request to physically separate the courts resulted in the construction of the United States Court of Appeals building at 1212 Lake Shore Drive in Chicago.
Noted for his writing skills and outstanding oral argument during his years in practice, Judge Evans left as his legacy a standard of excellence for the field of appellate advocacy. This standard of excellence is what inspired the dedication of our competition to Judge Evans.
The University of Wisconsin Law School Moot Court Board is pleased to honor the career of Judge Evans by inviting students to argue constitutional issues in hopes of living up to his high standard of appellate advocacy.
2022 Evans Competition
- Best Oralist: Jacob Niergarth from the University of Miami School of Law
- Second Best Oralist: Jessica Steffen from University of Kansas School of Law
- Best Petitioner’s Brief: Amira Guy and Paul Piazza, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
- Best Respondent’s Brief: Jessica Steffen and Stephen Tujague from the University of Kansas School of Law
- First Place: Jacob Zarone and Isabella Granucci from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- Second Place: Amira Guy and Paul Piazza from the Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
Photo & Video
Screenshot of the 2022 Evans Competition Final Round
Pictured in the screenshot (left to right, top to bottom):
- Judge Nancy Joseph
- Justice Louis B. Butler
- Justice Rebecca Dallet
- Justice Rives Kistler
- Judge Ronald Gilman
- Alex Hahn, VP of Evans
- Jesse Castaneda, Moot Court President,
- Ashleigh Johnson, VP of Evans
- Amira Guy, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
- Jacob Zarone, UC Hastings College of the Law
- Isabella Granucci, UC Hastings College of the Law
- Paul Piazza, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Competition Vice Presidents by email at email@example.com.