Madison, with a population of over 250,000, offers the amenities of a big city with the benefits and warmth of a strikingly beautiful college town. Madison is a center for political and judicial activity, conveniently located in the middle of a triangle formed by Chicago, Minneapolis and Milwaukee.
Memorial Union Terrace
As the state capital, Madison is home to the Supreme Court of Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Court of Appeals, the Dane County Circuit Court, the Western District of Wisconsin Federal District Court, and various state and federal agencies. All are within walking distance of the Law School, giving our students vast opportunities to work directly with judges and Justices and providing students with experience in multiple ares of law.
The Wisconsin Union Theater, the Overture Center for the Arts, the Kohl Center, and other facilities provide endless opportunities for students to enjoy national and local cultural events.
The four lakes in Madison are an ideal backdrop for the city, which is augmented by a 1200 acre arboretum, a free zoo, more than 200 city parks, 11 beaches, and lots of scenic countryside accessible by car, boat, bicycle, and foot.
Madison 'Best Of' Awards
Madison is consistently ranked best among US cities for quality of life. The area receives recognition for great food, healthy lifestyles, and general livability. Athletics spectators enjoy access to world class competition and top tier athletics teams. Outdoors lovers and active sporting enthusiasts place Madison among the nation's most desirable places to call home.
- #1 Best Place to Live , Livability, 2015
- The Best Cities on Earth for Biking, Yahoo Travel, 2015
- Top 10 U.S. Farmers Markets, Forbes Travel Guide, 2015
- #8 Happiest, Healthiest City in America, Huffington Post, 2013
- #14 Greenest City in America, nerdwallet, 2015
- #9 City for People Most Satisfied with Life, Business Insider, 2014
- 10 Best Cities for Food Trucks, USA Today, 2014
- #3 Healthiest City in America, Livability, 2015
- Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau, Rankings