There's nothing like a good American Law Report (ALR) to get your research going! Whether it be for legal research in a client matter or a term paper, the American Law Reports will give you a sound start to your research.
First appearing in 1919, the title's focused articles have offered expert guidance on a multitude of legal topics to generations of lawyers for over a century now. Each article or annotation, as they are called, includes a concise overview of a topic covering a specific point of law, a detailed analysis of cases on point, an extensive table of cases and statutes by jurisdiction, additional research references to secondary sources such as treatises, law reviews, and additional A.L.R. references from West. All of these elements add up to a superb research tool that will save you a great deal of time once you've found a relevant ALR annotation tailored to your topic.
To review any of these annotations, and many, many more simply log on to your Westlaw account. A print copy of all the American Law Reports since their inception is available in the library's Reference Collection at Ref KF132.
(The A.L.R. database is made current by the weekly addition of relevant new cases - Westlaw note.)
Below is a sample of recent annotations you will find in the American Law Reports:
- George L. Blum, J.D., Annotation, Spouse's Student Loan Debt as Marital or Separate Liability in Divorce Action, 57 A.L.R. 7th Art. 3.
- Deborah F. Buckman, J.D., Annotation, Tort of Intrusion upon Seclusion by Placement of Recording Device in Private Space, 60 A.L.R. 7th Art. 7.
- Ann K. Wooster, J.D., Annotation, Police Statements as Factor in Determination of Whether Circumstances of Witness's Identification of Criminal Defendant, as Person in Photograph Within Array, Were Impermissibly Suggestive as Matter of State Constitutional Law, 61 A.L.R. 7th Art. 5.
- Fern L. Kletter, J.D., Annotation, Products Liability and Negligence Claims Arising from Defects in Mobile Personal Electronics, 64 A.L.R. 7th Art. 5.
- Jay M. Zitter, J.D., Annotation, Sufficiency of Evidence to Prove Future Medical Expenses as Result of Injury to Head or Brain, 65 A.L.R. 7th Art. 3.
- Jay M. Zitter, J.D., Annotation, Religious Use Tax Exemption of Specific Property Under State or Local Laws, 66 A.L.R. 7th Art. 1.
- David J. Marchitelli, J.D., Annotation, Uniform Trust Code, 68 A.L.R. 7th Art. 1.
- George L. Blum, J.D., Annotation, What Constitutes Reasonable Time to Wait Under Knock-And-Announce Rule in Context of Search or Arrest Within Private Premises - State Cases, 71 A.L.R. 7th Art. 2.
- George L. Blum, J.D., Annotation, Medical Malpractice Claims Involving Instances of Sepsis or Septic Shock: Negligence, Damages, Jury Instructions, Vicarious Liability, Statutes of Limitation, Arbitration, and Other Considerations, 72 A.L.R. 7th Art. 4.
- Jay M. Zitter, J.D., Annotation, Zoning Regulations Prohibiting or Limiting Fences, Hedges, or Walls, 75 A.L.R. 7th Art. 2.
Submitted by Eric Taylor, Evening Reference Librarian on February 21, 2023
This article appears in the categories: Law Library