The University of Wisconsin Law School welcomes the opportunity to host visiting scholars from around the world. We accept a limited number of scholars whose work is of interest to our faculty. Accepted visiting scholars receive an honorary appointment, which provides access to extensive library resources and legal databases at UW. Visiting scholars also have many opportunities to participate in academic events at the Law School and elsewhere on campus.

Visiting Scholars Program Session Start Dates

Spring 2025: January 15, 2025

Summer 2025: June 1, 2025

Fall 2025: September 1, 2025

Application Materials

Application materials to be submitted online:


View more information about each research center at UW Law School before applying.

Complete and submit the application at the link below, for the session you are interested in starting the program:


$2,500 per semester ($1,500 per semester for those currently enrolled in a degree program at another higher education institution)

In a case of extreme hardship, reduction or waiver of this fee may be possible.

J-1 Visa Information for International Visitors

U.S. federal regulations apply to international visitors at UW-Madison, with regard to their visa and English language proficiency. International visitors typically require a J-1 visa, proof of English language proficiency, and documentation of funding during entire length of stay. UW-Madison's International Faculty and Staff Services (IFSS) office oversees the J-1 visa requirements and is authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to issue the DS-2019 document required to obtain the J-1 visa. Please note that federal regulations may change suddenly and/or frequently. Additionally, it is the visitor's responsibility to provide all necessary documentation in a timely manner. 

DS-2019 english Proficiency Requirement

The UW Law School is required to verify the English language proficiency of visiting scholars in at least one of the following ways:

documentation of Funding and Mandatory Health Insurance

The U.S. Department of State requires J-1 scholar visitors and any accompanying dependents have adequate financial support for the duration of their J-1 program. 

Visitors on a J-1 visa and any dependents on a J-2 visa are required to obtain health insurance while in the United States. Enrollment into the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for International Scholars is required.

Information about Dependents and J-2 Visa

Dependents who may qualify for a J-2 visa are the spouse of the J-1 primary and any unmarried children, under the age of 21.

Contact Us


Lock Icon