Law School funding of student events or travel is centralized in the JD Grants Committee, which was created by the Dean in 2014 to ensure a fair, consistent, and transparent process for distributing law school funds. Students and student organizations must direct their funding requests to the Committee, not to individual administrators or deans. Please review the instructions, forms, and deadlines below before applying for funding.
Planning in response to covid-19 (This paragraph updated june 24)
At this point, the JD Grants Committee does not know what plans will be for the fall semester. On June 23, the University extended restrictions through Monday, August 17, 2020. All university-sponsored travel and non-essential in-person campus events remain cancelled until then. The University stated that an update about the feasility of fall in-person campus events will be shared by mid-July. For the complete announcement, see https://news.wisc.edu/campus-event-travel-restrictions-extended-through-august-17/
When the University announces further updates affecting campus operations, that information will be posted here. In the meantime, no one should pay any registration fees or make other financial commitments related to student travel or in-person local events.
The JD Grants Committee's first deadline for 2020-21 is Wednesday, August 12, at 5:00 p.m. This is the deadline for the co-curricular actvities' budgets. This is also the first deadline for requestiing funding for fall semester events: attend a virtual event, sponsor a virtual event, sponsor a local event, or travel to an event.
This deadline may change, depending on new instructions from the University or Law School.
As of July 1, 2020, Travel Incorporated will be the University's travel vendor for individuals and small groups of travelers. (Fox World Travel will be providing travel-planning services only to groups of 10 or more who travel together.) The change in travel vendor to Travel Incorporated may affect protocols for making travel arrangements. We will provide relevant updates when more information becomes available. Forms involving travel will be updated in July.
Later in the summer, the committee will provide online information for the 2020-21 leaders of student organizations. The leaders will be notified via email and on this webpage.
If you have not done so already, please complete the organization information form, which was circulated to all organizations by Assistant Dean Emily Kite, to provide the names and contact information for your organization's 2020-21 leaders.
Overview (updated June 8, 2020)
- JD Grants Deadlines
- Other Funding Sources for Student Events (Word document)
Financial Planning (Information not yet updated)
Funding of events and travel is governed by a number of university policies and rules. For example, the university will not pay for alcohol at student-sponsored events. For more information about the policies that govern Hosted Meals and Events go to: www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/policy/meetcon/meetcon.html
Student Information Session (Infomration not yet Updated)
Co-curricular activities, student organizations, and individual students must use the forms below to request Law School funding for events and travel.
JD Grants Forms
Submit budget and funding request forms to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2021-20 forms required before the event (posted june 8, 2020)
- Annual Budget for Co-Curricular Activities (Word document) (projected annual budget for law journals, Mock Trial Program, and Moot Court Board)
- Funding Request to Attend a Virtual Event (Word document)
- Funding Request to Sponsor a Virtual Event (Word document)
Other Forms required before the event (These will be updated in July):
- Local Event Funding Request (Word document)
- If food will be served at a local event, take this form to the event to collect the names and affiliations of attendees: Hosted Meal Sign-in Sheet (Excel document)
- Travel Funding Request for Co-Curricular Activities (Word document): for law journals, Mock Trial Program, and Moot Court Board)
- Travel Funding Request for Individuals and Student Organizations (Word document)
Forms required after the event (These will be updated in July):
- Actual Expenses Report (Word document): accounting for all the funds spent
- UW Law School Business Office JD Grants Reimbursement Form (PDF): required for reimbursing individuals