Please review these two documents for information about the JD Grants Committee's general funding process and about other funding sources available for some events.
- Steps in the Funding Process (Word document)
- Other Funding Sources for Student Events (Word document)
Planning events requires careful attention to details and to the many University and Law School requirements. The following list highlights some of the most important considerations at the start of event planning.
- Events in the Law Building: Before you begin planning an event in the Law School, review section 18.6, Event Planning, in chapter 18 of the Student Handbook (Facilities & Event Planning).
- Contracts: Students cannot sign financial contracts. Contact the External Affairs Office at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding any contracts related to your event.
- Fundraising, including merchandise for sale: All fundraising plans must be reviewed in advance by Associate Dean Jini Jasti to ensure that the plans comply with the University's fundraising and merchandising requirements. Contact Dean Jasti at email@example.com.
- Alcohol: The University and Law School do not pay for alcohol at student-sponsored events. For more information, view the University's Alcohol Policy Page for Registered Student Organizations and the UW-Madison Alcohol Beverage Regulations (PDF).
For 2023-2024, students will continue to receive travel awards as required by federal law. With travel awards, students receive money directly from the Bursar's Office, and then they make their own travel arrangements. Students do not have to work with the university's travel agency, use the Concur site, or follow most university travel requirements.
To comply with federal law, travel awards are processed as scholarships. If you have questions about how a travel award will interact with your financial aid, please contact Lori Hickman, the Director for Scholarship Administration and Recruitment, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Information Sessions on April 25 and Sept. 7, 2023
Recording of the Student Information Session on April 25, 2023 (42 minutes). This session includes an overview of the JD Grants funding process for 2023-2024 and key information from Assistant Dean Lauren Devine and Associate Dean Jini Jasti.
PowerPoint slides from the April 25, 2023, Student Information Session.
- Recording of the New Student Leader Information Session on Sept. 7, 2023 (52 minutes). This session includes information about university polices for student organizations, registering your organization with the university, reserving rooms, using licensed images, fundraising, requesting JD Grants funding, getting reimbursed, Travel Awards, and people to know.
- PowerPoint slides from the Sept. 7, 2023, New Student Organization Leaders Information Session.