The East Asian Legal Studies Center (EALSC) has a proud history of hosting accomplished visiting scholars and professors from East and Southeast Asia. Through the exchange of ideas, knowledge and experiences, the Visiting Scholar and Professor Programs enrich the intellectual and research endeavors of the visitor, law school faculty and students, and the global law community.
- Stay at the Law School for three months to one year
- Receive guidance from or collaborate with a UW Law School faculty advisor
- Exchange ideas with UW faculty, other visiting scholars, guest speakers, neighboring institutions, UW students, and the Madison Wisconsin community
- Join a supportive network of current and former visiting scholars
- Discover the vibrant Law School, UW, and Madison communities in beautiful Madison, Wisconsin
- Typically are junior or senior law faculty members at another institution
- Present their research as part of the Law School's Seminar Program
The EALSC cannot provide housing for visiting scholars but can suggest possible places.
James B. MacDonald Distinguished Professorship
The James B. MacDonald Distinguished Professorship was established in 1995 in honor of UW Law Professor James B. MacDonald. It is awarded to renowned scholars from East or Southeast Asia to teach and/or lecture short term at the Law School.
Professor MacDonald was a powerful advocate of environmental protection and conceived of and built the Law School's environmental law curriculum. In 1978, and during the 1986-1987 academic year he researched regulations, laws, and administrative procedures of Japanese water resources.
2019 Visiting Professor
Professor Junji Nakagawa, Professor of International Economic Law Institute of Social Science, University of Tokyo. Scholar on international trade.
Talks by Professor Nakagawa:
- Tuesday, February 26, 2019: 12:00-1:00pm, Lubar Commons (Room 7200). "Rethinking the Multilateral Trade System: Achievements and Challenges." Lunch will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. All are welcome.
- Wednesday, February 27, 2019: Lecture in Professor Jason Yackee's class on "International Trade Law" class with (only open to students enrolled in the course)
- Thursday, February 28, 2019: 4:45pm - 6:30pm, Pyle Center, Vandeberg Auditorium (702 Langdon St. ). "TPP Fiasco and Japan's Regional Trade Agreement Strategy in East Asia and the Pacific." Light hors d'oeuvres will be served from 4:45-5:15pm. The lecture and Q&A will be 5:15-6:30pm. All are welcome.
Previous James B. MacDonald Visiting Professors
- 1996 Koichiro Fujikura, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan
- 1997 Pisawat Sukonthapan, Mekong Region Law Center, Thailand
- 1998 Itsuko Matsuura, Aichi University, Aichi, Japan
- 1998 Yoshiharu Matsuura, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
- 2000 Norio Higuchi, University of Tokyo
- 2002 Ko Hasegawa, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan