The East Asian Legal Studies Center is happy to provide financial support to UW faculty, J.D., graduates, and undergraduate students for research and events related to law or legal institutions in East and Southeast Asia. This includes but is not limited to:
- Research Funding for field research, academic research, and other research projects
- Presentation Funding for students to present at conferences, symposiums, workshops, and similar events
- On-Campus Event Funding to host East or Southeast Asia related events on campus
If your requested funding is approved you must document all project related expenses. Expenses will be reimbursed up the total amount awarded. Please note that you are responsible for ensuring that you comply with university regulations regarding travel and accommodation.
To apply to send your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Reflections from some previous funding recipients are located in East Asian Legal Legal Studies Center Newsletters numbers: 2, 6, 7, 9, 10, & 11
The EALSC also funds student internships in East and Southeast Asia. See the student opportunities page for more information.
Applying for Research Funding?
The EALSC typically awards successful applicants for research funding up to $800 toward domestic travel and $2,000 toward international travel.
Your proposal should include:
- Title page with your project's title and your contact information including your position and department (students should list their year and major)
- A description of your project
- An explanation of the project's application relevance, and value to the East Asian Legal Studies Center and the field of study
- The project's objectives
- your project plan (how you plan to accomplish the project's goals)
- timeline of the project
- a detailed budget including the total amount of funding requested and any additional funding sources
- justification for the major expenses that will be incurred
Applying for Student Presentation Funding?
- be a UW graduate student in good standing
- be attending a conference, symposium, workshop or similar academic event related to East Asian Legal Studies OR have a presentation topic related to East Asian Legal Studies
- submit your request at least 6 weeks before the conference
- a copy of your presentation proposal
- proof of your acceptance to present at the event
- the dates of the event and your proposed itinerary
- an explanation of how presenting at the event will benefit your professional development and the field.
- how your presentation relates to East or Southeast Asian Legal Studies
- What you are requesting funding for: such as travel, lodging, meals, registration fees, etc...
- a proposed budget (including any additional funding sources)
- your CV
- a letter of support from at least one faculty member
- a draft of your presentation (if possible)
Applying to Host an On-Campus Event?
- Description of the event
- what type of event is it? lecture, conference, panel discussion, etc...), Is it part of a series of related events?
- the event's relevance and value to the East Asian Legal Studies Center
- the event's purpose and intended audience
- proposed date(s) and time(s) of the event
- proposed event location
- Event coordinator(s) contact information
- any co-sponsoring divisions or organizations and a description of their contribution
- description of what you are requesting funding for such as: venue rental fees, publicity and advertising costs, catering, printing, outside speaker's travel, lodging, meals, and honorarium, etc...