Quick links

Jump to

General Financial Information

Please direct all general financial questions to Jennifer Gardner (jennifer.gardner@wisc.edu) in the accounting office.

Additionally, Associate Dean Bethany Pluymers is the Law School's Chief Financial Officer; she can provide additional assistance by email (bethany.pluymers@wisc.edu) or phone (608-265-7981).

How to Request Reimbursement

Travel Policies

There are a number of policies related to travel, and the list below is not all inclusive. For a complete list of the policies, please see UW-Madison's Travel Policies.

International Travel

For more information regarding air travel, lodging, and meal per diem maximums related to international travel, please see UW-Madison's International Travel Policy.

Air Travel

Payment/Reimbursement for travel is limited to the lowest cost means of travel unless it is impractical or not available.  Receipts and documentation are required and should show itinerary, traveler name, travel departure/arrival times, ticket number, amount of fare and proof of payment.

* "Business-only travel" is defined as one day before and after event dates for North American destinations OR two days before and one day after event dates for other continental destinations.

** Cost Comparisons must be obtained from Travel Incorporated agents; information on Concur do not qualify for Cost Comparisons.

For more information, please see UW-Madison's UW-Madison's Air Travel Policy.


All lodging claims must be supported by an original, itemized, detailed receipt showing daily room rate, guest name(s), dates of stay, single/double accommodations, and all other room charges.

For more information, please see UW-Madison's Lodging Policy.


Claims for meals shall represent actual, reasonable and necessary expenses.  Please consult the Business Office about payment/reimbursement for alcoholic beverages prior to purchase (rules vary by types of business meals).  Tax and tips (limited to 15%) are included in the maximum allowable amount. 

The maximum M&IE per diem allowance will be at a rate established by the Federal Government for the location and dates of travel.  The UW TravelWIse Rate Calculator (login required) is the official source for obtaining lodging and M&IE Per Diem rates prior to travel.

Payments/Reimbursements related to meals require:

For more information regarding meals, please see UW-Madison's Meals Policy.


A rental vehicle may be used when it is the most cost-effective means of transportation available (i.e., out-of-state travel) for UW business.  Otherwise, for regional/in-state travel, a UW Fleet Vehicle may be used or mileage may be reimbursed for personal vehicle use.

  1. Whether operating personal vehicles, rental vehicles, or fleet vehicles, employees and students who are required to drive on University sponsored business must complete Driver Authorization by The Office of Risk Management.
  2. Vehicle rental:
    1. Please use contracted vendors: Enterprise or National to ensure contracted pricing.
    2. For more information regarding the discount codes and rates, please see UW-Madison's Vehicle Use/Rental Policy.
  3. Personal vehicle (automobile) mileage rates (Effective 1/1/21):
    $0.56 per mile for round-trip under 300 miles.
    $0.36 per mile for round-trip over 300 miles.
  4. Fleet Vehicle: The UW prefers that employees try to reserve fleet vehicles before using their personal vehicles for travel. If you are a new employee or have never driven on university sponsored business, you will need to be authorized to drive by the Office of Risk Management. Please refer to the UW-Madison Risk Management regarding driver authorization guidelines and forms.
  5. You must be an authorized driver in order to reserve a vehicle, so advance planning is advisable. Please allow for at least 10 days in advance of travel date to allow Risk Management time to process approval for fleet vehicles.
  6. All gasoline, charges for repairs, tow service, locksmith services, jump starts, lubrication, etc., are paid for by the UW using the fleet card.  Please ask the Motor Pool Personnel for details.

**If you wish to make a fleet vehicle reservation, please contact Jennifer Gardner (jennifer.gardner@wisc.edu).

Motor Pool Office (Reservations):
27 North Charter Street Room 110
Madison, WI 53715

Purchasing Policies

There are a number of policies related to purchasing and the list below is not all inclusive.  For a complete list of the policies, please see UW-Madison Purchasing Policies.

For more information regarding how to purchase goods and services, please see this "Can I Buy It Myself" flowchart.

FISC Funds

To request additional FISC funds prior to spending, please fill out the Request for Additional FISC Budget form (Excel Document) and submit to Associate Dean Susannah Tahk, with a copy to accounting office for approval.

Lock Icon